Customer Service Pledge
Quality of Life Programs
Retail Promotions &
Store Grand Openings
Mobile Food Unit
Tour Our Stores
Business 2 Business
U.S. Election Assistance
Veteran Canteen Service
(VCS) purchases retail merchandise both nationally and locally for its 172+ retail stores through a shared procurement system designed to meet a very diverse customer base.
New merchandise selections and potential new vendors are reviewed semi-annually in Merchandise Committee meetings. Nationally approved items are placed in our ordering system and are available to each Retail Store for ordering. Our system offers a personalized and Veteran centric selection process, allowing regional and local needs of our customers to be serviced.
We annually market 30 national sale events which are coordinated by our Retail Operations Division in St. Louis, Missouri. These advertised events focus on compelling value and current in-demand merchandise, especially with National Brands.
VCS does not have warehousing facilities. Shipments ordered, therefore, are to be shipped directly from the manufacturer to the ordering canteen. . EDI compliance for transmission of purchase orders and invoices is mandatory to do business with the VCS.
Vendors wishing to do business with VCS may make direct contact with the VCS Buyers
in the Central Office.
VCS BUYERS / CATEGORIES OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Electronics, TVs/MP3/Audio/Video, Computers, Software, Photo/Optical, As Seen On TV, Sporting Goods
HBC (Health & Beauty Care), OTC (Over the Counter), Fragrances/Colognes, Home Giftware, Jewelry/Watches, Home Cleaning Supplies, Wall Clocks, Pets
Candy/Food, Beverage/Snacks, Stationary, Greeting Cards, , Small Electrics, Luggage, Domestics, Hardware, Military Giftware
Military Apparel, Men's Sportswear, Men's Bottoms, Menís Furnishings, Menís Suits, Men's Accessories, Men's Sleepwear, Men's Footwear, Men's Outerwear & Toys
Ladies Sportswear (Missy & Womenís), Menís & Ladies Active Wear, Ladies Intimates/Hosiery, Ladies Sleepwear, Ladies Handbags/Wallets, Ladies Footwear, Ladies Outerwear
General Conditions for Doing Business with VCS
- Vendor's discount period
will run from the date of invoice.
- Merchandise rejected
because it was not in conformity with sample or specification will be returned at vendor's
VCS will not accept any merchandise that is made in Myanmar.
- Vendor agrees to indemnify,
save harmless, and defend buyer, its outlets and customers, from any liability claimed or established for violations or infringement of any patent or trade mark right asserted by any third party with respect to goods hereby ordered or any part thereof.
- Acceptance of this order
constitutes a guaranty that the vendor has complied or will comply with all applicable
State and Federal laws and regulations.
- In accepting any order in
excess of $1,000,000.00 vendor agrees to comply with Executive Order No. 11246, together
with rules, regulations and relevant orders of the Secretary of Labor formulated to
administer said order, which prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant
because of race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Pertinent provisions of
Executive Order No. 11246 are fully outlined in the "Equal Opportunity Clause for
Government Contracts," which, as an attachment in the case of an order in excess of
$1,000,000.00 shall be considered an integral part of the purchase order.
- The VCS will not be liable
for the payment of any bills unless covered by a purchase order signed by an authorized
VCS representative for merchandise or property which the vendor is authorized to furnish
the Veterans Canteen Service.
- Except as otherwise provided in this agreement, any dispute concerning a question of fact arising under this agreement which is not disposed of by agreement shall be decided by the Contracting Officer, who shall reduce the decision to writing and mail or otherwise furnish a copy thereof to the contractor. The decision of the Contracting Officer shall be final and conclusive unless within 90 days from the date of receipt of such copy, the contractor mails or otherwise furnishes to the Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals (VABCA) (09), 810 Vermont Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20420, a written appeal addressed to the Director, Veterans Canteen Service. A copy, thereof, shall be furnished to the Contracting Officer from whose decision the appeal is taken. The notice shall indicate that an appeal is intended, shall reference this decision, and identify the vending contract. For appeals under the disputed clause you may, solely at your election, proceed under the VABCA small claims procedures for claims $10,000 or less of other accelerated procedures for claims $5,000 or less. In lieu of appealing to the Department of Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals, you may bring an action directly in the U.S. Claims Court within twelve (12) months of the date you received this decision. In connection with any appeal proceeding under this clause, the contractor shall be afforded an opportunity to be heard and to offer evidence in support of its appeal. Pending final decision of a dispute hereunder, the contractor shall proceed diligently with the performance of the agreement and in accordance with the Contracting Officer's decision.
- No member of or delegate to
Congress, or resident commissioner, shall be admitted to any share or part of this order
or to any benefit that may arise there from; but this provision shall not be construed to
extend to this order if made with a corporation for its general benefit.
- The vendor warrants that no
person or selling agency has been employed or retained to solicit or secure this order
upon an agreement or understanding for commission, percentage, brokerage, or contingent
fee, excepting bon-a-fide employees or bon-a-fide established commercial or selling agencies
maintained by the vendor for the purpose of securing business. For breach or
violation of this warranty the Veterans Canteen Service shall have the right to annul this
order without liability or in its discretion to deduct from the invoice price or
consideration of the full amount of such commission, percentage, brokerage, or contingent
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Canteen Service Central Office
Retail Operations (RO)
#1 Jefferson Barracks Road
Building 25, Room 113
St. Louis, MO 63125-4194
Chief Merchandising Officer
Director, Retail Operations
Phone: (314) 845-1200
FAX: (314) 845-1202
Assistant Merchandising Officer