Customer Service Pledge
Quality of Life Programs
Retail Promotions &
Store Grand Openings
Mobile Food Unit
Tour Our Stores
Voluntary Service Promo
U.S. Election Assistance
VCS operates Patriot Stores in VA Medical Centers throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. More than 3,600 Management and Customer Service Associates provide retail, food, vending, and other services to the thousands of customers who visit our stores and other VCS facilities. VCS’ annual sales exceed $400 million per year.
VCS offers a fun, challenging and exciting career for people interested in joining our organization. Our jobs require a lot of hard work, dedication and a commitment to personal excellence, but the rewards and benefits can be great and on par with the best that the retail, food and service industries have to offer. More importantly, you'll take immense pride in knowing that your efforts are recognized and appreciated by the "best customers" in the country -- the Veterans of the U. S. Armed Forces and those who provide for their care.
- Competitive Salaries
- Health Insurance- Permanent employees are eligible for the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program. Several plans are available to choose from, with the employee sharing the expense with the government.
- Dental & Vision Insurance- Permanent employees are also eligible for the dental and vision insurance. There is no Government contribution to the premiums.
- Life Insurance- Permanent employees are automatically enrolled for Basic Life Insurance with the Federal Employees Group; additional options are available at the employee’s expense.
- Workers' Compensation Insurance- Paid compensation and medical treatment is available for on-the-job injury or illness.
- Vacation Leave- As a full-time government employee, you will earn 13 days of annual leave each year for your first 3 years; 20 days of leave for 3-14 years of service; and 26 days for 15 years or more. You may carryover up to 30 days (240 hours) of annual leave each year. Prior government employment, including military service, may apply to your leave accrual rate.
- Sick Leave- 13 working days per year ... unlimited accumulation.
- Retirement Program- Permanent employees are automatically enrolled in the Federal Employees Retirement System [FERS]. FERS consist of a Basic Benefits Plan, Social Security Benefits and Thrift Savings Plan.
- The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) - A retirement savings and investment plan for Federal employee. It offers the same types of savings and tax benefits that many private corporations offer their employees under 401(k) plans.
The TSP is a defined contribution plan, meaning that the retirement income you receive from your TSP account will depend on how much you (and your agency, if you are eligible to receive agency contributions) put into your account during your working years and the earnings accumulated over that time.
VCS Canteen Chiefs and Assistant Canteen Chiefs are required to accept geographic relocation, according to the needs of VCS, or upon promotion.
- When training is completed, or a new assignment is directed; VCS provides the following relocation benefits based on eligibility requirements and reimbursement limitations contained in the Federal Travel Regulations do apply.
- Transportation of household goods
- Travel of employee and eligible family members
- Temporary lodging allowances
Clerical and administrative responsibilities in the canteen administrative office with collateral duties assigned within canteen operations. Accounts for and verifies all withdrawals and deposits, oversees/verifies receipts of funds on a daily basis, prepares correspondence for canteen chief, and assists in day-to-day canteen operations.
Performs a full range of cooking duties, i.e., preparing and cooking items ordered by customer from the grill area. Prepares salads and replenishes display case, prepares and displays all food items. The cook is responsible for maintaining a clean work area and clean equipment.
Food Service Worker
Performs a variety of food service duties in support of the VCS food operation. The incumbent assists with the preparation, presentation, and serving of food Items. Fills ice machines or other dispensers, and rotates and stocks assorted bottled/canned beverages, sandwiches, etc. for the refrigerated display cases. The Food Service Worker also assists with receiving and storing of food deliveries. Also requires the operation of a cash register.
Retail Sales Associate
Assist customers in the selection of merchandise and sells merchandise directly to customers. Requires the operation of a cash register, and performs other related duties such as merchandise control, merchandise replenishment, display, housekeeping and recordkeeping.
Receives, inspects, counts, and weighs incoming merchandise deliveries; prepares receiving reports; marks and stores merchandise, and counts, packs, and arranges for shipping out-going merchandise. Brings merchandise from the stock room to the selling area and assists with the ordering of regular, seasonal, and special merchandise.
The Vending Clerk is responsible for assortment management, stockroom operations, cash handling and inventory accountabilities and the upkeep and maintenance of assigned vending machines. They conduct daily inspections of machines, responsible for the installation and maintenance of product assortment and marketing programs.
Store Manager/Canteen Chief
The primary duties include over all oversight of the store operations, i.e., retail, food and vending. In addition, the Canteen Chief is assigned the full range of personnel management responsibilities which include performance standards/appraisals, scheduling, leave approval and personnel actions.
Assistant Store Manager/Assistant Canteen Chief
The Assistant Canteen Chief performs retail, food and vending duties under the supervision of the Canteen Chief.
Click here to follow an interactive Map of VCS locations and addresses. Resumes and/or career opportunity inquiries about the positions listed above can be sent directly to the location of your choice.
Send your resume and Declaration for Federal Employment [OF 306] to:
Associate Director, Resources and Support
Veterans Canteen Service Central Office
#1 Jefferson Barracks Road, Building 25
Saint Louis, MO 63125-4194
Or, email resume to: VCSjob@va.gov.
You can download OF 306 now or obtain a printed copy from the Human Resource Offices of all federal agencies; at Federal Job Information Centers; or contact VCS Central Office by telephone - 314-845-1213 or Fax - 314-845-1203.